Copyright Notice


All images, photos, and video excluding advertising and google generated content, or unless otherwise labeled, are Copyright Jephyr (Jeff Curtis). All Rights Reserved.

These images are not in the public domain. Contact me for licensing terms and pricing.

Unauthorized or unlicensed use for all commercial and personal applications is prohibited.





Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Field Marshal Chuck: A recent digital painting done using Sketchbook Pro and a Wacom tablet.


Howdy!

This summer, I've been spending a lot of time over at the Sketchbook Section of the Concept Art Forum.  Artists from all over the world post paintings, drawings from their "real world" sketchbooks, and because so many of them work with digital software they post a lot of digital images as well. 

Generally they're pretty helpful and post encouragement and tips and critiques about each others work.

I began my Sketchbook there a while back and have been posting more and more of my work there.  If you're an artist I would really recommend you do the same...it can be very helpful and inspiring to be in contact with so many artists all trying to improve their art.

I've been doing a lot of caricatures/cartoony characters in my real world sketchbook and had a comment or two that I should work them up into digital paintings.

So I took a recent image into Sketchbook Pro and had a lot of fun bringing it to life.

I call him "Field Marshal Chuck" and have posted the final image as well as the original sketch below.  I also included a composite of a few of the steps along the way.

 
 
Thanks for looking in!
 
Ciao, 
 
Jephyr

----------------------------

Digital images were created using Sketchbook Pro and my trusty Wacom Intuos tablet.

Copyright 2011, Jephyr! (Jeff Curtis), All Rights Reserved


----------------------------


Please visit my site for more examples of my artwork and Photography:

JeffCurtisArt




2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome and frightening image! Haha. Have you ever heard of Nazi Zombies? It is part of my brother's Call of Duty games. Anyway, this image reminded me of them. Haha. How perfect for what you are trying to express. ;) It is really detailed and creepy. I like the revisions that you did of the sketch as time went on. I think they really tightened up your piece. I think the sketch is more comedic and the final piece is definitely much darker and creepier. Good work, Jeff!

    Btw, I too use my Wacom Intuos and now it is impossible for me to use my mouse anymore for painting. That is so weird!

    I will have to download a free trial of Sketchbook pro and use it for a project of mine in the future. It looks so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and thanks for commenting! I'd not heard of Nazi Zombies from COD (I'm not a gamer dude : ) but did an image search and can see why Field Marshal Chuck brought that to mind! : ) I'm glad you found it detailed and dark/creepy. It's cool you noticed that transition from the original sketch. That's just what I was going for!

    haha I remember using a mouse to draw with before I got my Wacom too. I could never go back either!!!

    I've been so happy to have learned on Sketchbook Pro but am using Photoshop for my latest digital painting. I'll tell you all about it when I see you, God willing, at Gotham! : )

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete